Advanced: Regenerating AWStats
Posted by Jay Sudowski (Import) on 18 March 2004 02:43 PM
Sometimes it is neccessary or desireable to force AWStats to reanalyze the raw log files for a particular site. Please follow this procedure to do so:
1) Download the awstats_regenerate.zip file attached to the right. Extract the files to c:\\awstats\\wwwroot
2) Add / remove awstats from the domain using Helm. This will ensure that the AWStats configuration for the domain is up to date.
3) Then go into c:\awstats\data and search for any log files that have the domain name in them and delete them. This step is neccessary to clear out any old data that AWStats may have for the domain.
4) Using Windows Explorer, browse to to c:\\domains\\domains.com\\logs\\W3SVCXXXX\\.
5) In another window, open Internet Explorer and go to this URL: http://yourhelmIP/awstats/awstats_regenerate.asp
6) Fill out the form accordingly. In most cases, you do not need to alter the URL field. For the domain field, enter the full path to the log files for the domain we're working on, be sure to include a trailing slash.
7) Enter the dates that you want to regenerate stats for. Note that you can only enter dates for which raw log files exist.
8) Click Generate. After the process completes, click "View Statistics". If your stats do not appear correct (eg, they are all zero), click on one of the "URL" links listed. It's possible that some error is preventing AWStats from scanning the log files properly. If you do receive an error, confirm that you are entering the details correctly in the form. If you are positive that data entered in the form is correct, you will need to to troubleshoot the error before proceeding.